DLSU loses early lead, succumbs to UST, 77-61

Published on September 30th, 2015 | by David Escueta


The first quarter was basically owned by DLSU, making their first three baskets courtesy of Joshua Torralba and Jeron Teng. Andrei Caracut also pinched in and DLSU ended the quarter with an 18-12 lead. The Green Archers extended their lead through a quick 5-0 run, which led to a UST timeout early in the second frame. It was followed by a 7-2 run that pushed the lead to its biggest of 14 for the squad in green. This was outright erased by UST after establishing a 13-3 run spearheaded by Vigil and Abdul, which in turn trimmed the lead to 2, 33-31 to end the first half of play.

The Growling Tigers grabbed their first taste of the lead with a three-pointer that fully shifted the momentum to UST. Thomas Torres answered back with a long-range bomb of his own, while a layup by Jeron Teng gave the Archers a four point lead. UST then shot the lights out from beyond the arc, sparking a frenzy that was capped off by an Ed Daquioag three-pointer that gave UST a 60-46 lead heading into the final quarter. DLSU was outscored by UST 29-13 in the third quarter alone.

Kevin Ferrer came back in the final frame and promptly buried a shot from beyond to push their lead to 17. After an unsportsmanlike foul on Jeron Teng was called, it basically shut the window for a possible comeback as UST buried three-pointers right after another to help them set up a 19 point lead, their biggest of the game.

The Green Archers resorted to the hack-a-player tactic on Jon Sherriff on the 3 minute mark of the final quarter, this however did not work out as they missed most of their shots, including point-blank attempts and free throws. DLSU falls to an even record of 3-3, while UST poses a 5-1 record, tied at first with FEU.

ADMU would be the final matchup for DLSU in the first round. The most-anticipated rivalry will take place on October 4 at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑